Car Accident Attorney in Koreatown, CA
Car accidents are one of the most traumatic events that one can experience. While they are sometimes minor fender-benders that can be easily resolved, others are extremely serious and can have a lasting impact on a victim’s physical and mental well-being. If you have recently been in a car accident and need legal support, a Koreatown car accident lawyer can help prove the negligence of another driver and quantify your damages to earn compensation.
At Heimanson & Wolf, LLP, we empathize with those who have recently been affected by a car crash. It can feel overwhelming to manage both your own recovery process and your legal responsibilities. Fortunately, our attorneys can take on the bulk of these responsibilities to ensure our clients can recover in peace without delaying their access to much-needed economic relief. Connect with us today and see why others in Koreatown have already trusted us to handle cases similar to your own.
Why Do Car Accidents Occur in Koreatown?
With so many potential disturbances on the road, there are many different causes of automobile collisions across Koreatown. Understanding the nature of these causes can help to build a solid legal case focused on holding a negligent party accountable for their actions.
The most common reasons for car accidents in Koreatown include:
- Negligence. When an attorney agrees to pursue a negligence claim, it means they feel confident that the available evidence suggests a “duty of care” was broken by the defendant. All vehicle owners share this duty to keep others on the road safe, which can be compromised by distracted driving, disregarding traffic signals, or failing to have their car regularly inspected. If an attorney is able to successfully link the negligent behavior to their client’s injuries, a settlement is plausible.
- Reckless or Aggressive Driving. Anyone who engages in extreme driving behavior that completely disregards the rules of the road could be subject to accusations of reckless or aggressive driving. This could involve ignoring the speed limits, driving too closely behind another car, or purposefully angering other drivers by honking the horn and yelling. These incidents increase the likelihood of a driver losing control of their vehicle or being able to avoid a hazard while engaging in reckless behavior.
- Manufacturer Liability. Consumers rely on their cars to operate as intended to keep them and their passengers safe. When a malfunction occurs while driving, this can pose a significant risk to the safety of everyone in the car and others on the road. For example, a driver could push on their brakes to stop at a red light to discover their brakes no longer work. This could lead to a rear-end collision that puts the car’s manufacturer in a vulnerable position to face legal charges.
- Government Entities. Aside from private car companies, the government could also be held accountable for car accident claims if the cause of an accident was proven to fall within their responsibility. This could include unkempt roads, a lack of warning signs, or even faulty traffic lights. To hold a government entity accountable, an attorney will need to show there is a responsible party that knew a hazard existed but neglected to address it in a timely manner.It’s important to note that the statute of limitations for holding a government entity accountable is only six months. As soon as you are in a car accident and suspect there may be a connection to the government’s negligence, connect with a personal injury lawyer in Koreatown to ensure no time is lost in securing a possible settlement award.
- Wrongful Death. Car accidents can, unfortunately, result in fatal outcomes. A death may put the surviving family members in a position to advance a wrongful death claim. This can be an extremely traumatic claim to advance as surviving loved ones grapple with the reality that someone else was responsible for their family member’s death. Settlement awards in these cases can help fund funeral expenses, lost wages the family relied on, or any medical expenses incurred from the death.
What Makes for an Effective Car Accident Attorney?
When searching for a prospective attorney to handle your car accident case, you’ll want to make sure they exhibit the common traits often found in effective legal representation. Doing so could help maximize the total of your final settlement award.
Some of the most commonly cited traits of an effective car accident attorney include:
- Deep Understanding of Personal Injury and Car Accident Law. An attorney’s deep understanding of personal injury consists of both their education and their experience in interpreting these laws for other clients. Their education helps them understand the nuances of the law as written and the precedents that exist, while having a track record of winning cases helps them leverage strategies that have already been proven to work for other clients in similar situations. Ask about their education and experience to verify their credentials.
- Negotiation Skills. It’s very likely that an attorney will need to negotiate specific terms and conditions of an agreement to help conclude a case. This can include negotiating the specific amount of damages compensated, navigating claims with insurance companies, or arranging a fair settlement. The quality of these results will often hinge on how strongly an attorney can leverage different negotiation tactics to benefit their client without the other side feeling like they are making large concessions.
- Litigation Experience. When a case cannot be settled outside of court, a trial becomes a necessity. This is where an attorney’s history of litigation experience will be the most useful. They should already be well-versed in how to navigate a courtroom, cross-examine witnesses, and present compelling evidence that captures the attention of a judge and jury. Experience also allows them to respond to unexpected evidence quickly to reduce any compromise it may have on their client’s case.
- Communication Skills. Attorneys are in constant communication with not just their clients but all the other resources and stakeholders involved in a legal case. From speaking to judges and insurance companies to coordinating with expert witnesses and keeping their clients updated on the status of their cases, hiring an attorney who prioritizes open and detailed communication is vital. This openness can also help them form a trustworthy relationship with their clients, which can boost collaboration.
- Resilience. In severe car accidents with numerous liable parties, a car accident case could take years to resolve. This is where an attorney’s resilience will become critical as they spend countless hours negotiating with opposing legal counsel and attending numerous court sessions to reach a final verdict. Clients should feel like their attorney will always keep fighting for their interests, no matter how long it might take.
Koreatown Car Accident FAQs
Q: How Much Does a Lawyer Get From a Car Accident Settlement in CA?
A: If an attorney works on a contingency fee basis, they will earn a specific percentage of a settlement award that is predetermined before they even agree to take on a case. This percentage is typically in the range of 30% to 40%. It can be even higher for seasoned attorneys who boast an impressive track record of winning cases. Be sure to discuss different payment arrangements upfront with your attorney to ensure it’s aligned with your budget.
Q: How Much Is a Whiplash Claim Worth in California?
A: The value of a whiplash claim will depend on the extent of damages. Evaluating the damages requires a calculation of medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and emotional distress. This could put your claim within a range of a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands if the damage has resulted in life-long repercussions. To set your expectations for what your case might be worth, a car accident attorney can offer their assessment after just a few sessions.
Q: Is California a No-Fault State for Car Accidents?
A: No, California rather follows an “at-fault” model, which means that a specific party will be held liable if proven to be true in court. This allows a victim pursuing a claim to seek compensation from the defendant’s insurance company for economic support. Because the total amount of damages can be extreme, California requires all drivers to carry auto insurance with a minimum liability coverage to address these types of damages.
Q: What Do I Do After a Car Accident That Was Not My Fault in California?
A: If you were in a car accident and do not believe it was your fault, you still need to exchange contact details with everyone at the scene and seek medical care if needed. Even though you do not believe you’re at fault, this will still need to either be proven in court or agreed upon with a defendant to reach a settlement without going to trial. Be sure to take photos of the scene, document the extent of your injuries, and obtain witness statements to help prove your innocence.
Contact the Car Accident Lawyers at Heimanson & Wolf, LLP, Today
If you are suffering damages from a recent car accident, connect with the car accident lawyers today at Heimanson & Wolf, LLP. We have fine-tuned our legal skills over the years to maximize compensation settlements for our clients and ensure they do not have to face any financial burdens for which they were not responsible. We are prepared to extend these skills to your own case to help you move on with your life as soon as possible.