Montebello Car Accident Attorney
A car accident can be traumatizing for all those involved. From minor fender-benders to severe crashes, these accidents can result in varying degrees of personal injury and property damage. If you have been in a car accident and need legal representation, a Montebello car accident lawyer is ready to protect your rights and earn you compensation for your damages.
At Heimanson & Wolf, LLP, we understand how distressing it can be to face legal responsibilities while trying to recover from a car accident. Therefore, we take those burdens off our clients’ shoulders to ensure they have time to heal while we work tirelessly to win their case. Our Montebello car accident attorneys have extensive knowledge in car accident law, with a proven track record of winning cases and providing clients with the compensation they deserve.
Common Reasons for Car Accident Claims
A car accident lawyer is dedicated to helping clients seek compensation for damages suffered from the negligence or wrongful actions of another. Car accidents happen every day throughout Montebello, and while some only result in minor injuries, others can have life-long debilitating impacts. In the most extreme cases, they could even cause death.
Some of the most common reasons Montebello residents file car accident claims include:
- Negligence When a claim for negligence is filed, it suggests the defendant has broken their “duty of care” owed to others on the road to keep them safe. This commonly includes texting while driving, disregarding traffic signals, or operating a vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If an attorney is able to successfully link a specific act of negligence to a client’s injury, this may result in a compensation package designed to cover the extent of the damages.
- Reckless or Aggressive Driving Extreme behavior that completely disregards logic and safety protocols could likely fall into the category of reckless or aggressive driving. Examples include intentionally driving over the speed limit, changing lanes without warning, or even tailgating. Car accidents are often found to be attributed to this behavior. Legal action in these cases requires a plaintiff to prove that a driver engaged in aggressive behavior while using driving maneuvers that violated safety expectations.
- Manufacturer Liability If there is any evidence to suggest a motor vehicle malfunctioned due to a misstep during production, a manufacturer could be held liable for any damages it caused. Manufacturer liability could involve scenarios in which a car’s brakes failed to work, a tire suddenly blew out, or an airbag did not deploy during an accident. These can be extremely complicated cases, as proving fault will require an in-depth analysis and evidence collection to hold the manufacturer accountable.
- Government Entities If you were harmed due to something that falls within the government’s role of responsibility, there could still be grounds to advance a claim. Accidents that fall within this category could include poorly maintained roads, lack of signage, or even faulty traffic lights that all pose risks to the safety of drivers.To win a government entity case, a client would need to prove there were stakeholders aware of the hazard who failed to act. The statute of limitations in these cases is only six months, so it’s crucial to act as quickly as possible.
- Wrongful Death The most tragic car accident cases result in death. When this happens, the family of the deceased may have grounds to file a wrongful death case. This is only possible if there is suspicion that someone’s negligence had a role in the cause of death. These claims can seek economic relief for funeral costs, lost financial support, or even medical expenses that have since occurred dealing with the traumatic loss of life.
What Makes a Strong Car Accident Lawyer?
A blend of skills, experience, and personal qualities can enable a car accident and personal injury lawyer in Montebello, CA, to effectively represent clients who depend on their support. Some of the most common key attributes cited as helpful include:
- Strong Command of Personal Injury Law An attorney is only as effective as the education and experience that serve as the foundation of their services. Having both knowledge of the discipline and a track record of successfully closed cases allows a strong injury lawyer to create a compelling case that maximizes the settlement. These professionals should boast knowledge in areas including traffic law and auto insurance, and they should have the ability to navigate legal nuance.
- Negotiation Skills Many car accident cases never make it to a courtroom, in which cases both plaintiff and defendant are able to negotiate a settlement and move on with their lives. In many cases, negotiation success is often credited to a competent lawyer who is able to effectively persuade opposing counsel to meet them more closely to their client’s desired outcome.In addition to negotiating with other attorneys, these professionals will also need to have difficult conversations with insurance companies to reach a fair settlement for their clients.
- Litigation Experience If a case does go to trial, a car accident lawyer’s previous litigation experience will be more than useful. It will serve as one of the most important attributes to their client’s success. Attorneys become highly accustomed to how each car accident case can vary, enabling them to handle even the most unexpected twists in a case with confidence.
- Communication Skills The ability to communicate clearly and effectively can set one attorney apart from another. These professionals must be able to explain complicated legal concepts and strategies in a manner that anyone can understand. In addition to what they say, a good attorney will also focus on how they say things. Demonstrating empathy and understanding for a client’s traumatic experiences can contribute to instilling a trustworthy relationship from the start.
- Resilience It’s imperative for an effective attorney to be resilient, as some cases can go on for years until a resolution is reached. Over this period, an attorney will spend a significant amount of time negotiating with the other party and representing their client through lengthy legal procedures in court. A qualified lawyer is willing to pursue a case as long as necessary to help meet the needs of their client, even if that means initiating an appeal to any decision that they agree was unwarranted.
Q: How Much Do Lawyers Take From a Car Accident Settlement in California?
A: Car accident lawyers in Montebello, California, typically work on a contingency fee basis, which means they will receive a certain percentage of the final settlement as a payment for their services. This fee can range based on experience and case complexity, with it typically falling between 30% and 40% of the total amount. Some lawyers may also enforce a “sliding scale” stipulation, which means that the fee structure is based on the size of the final settlement.
Q: Should I Get a Lawyer for a Car Accident That Wasn’t My Fault in Montebello?
A: It is always advised to secure legal representation after a car accident, especially when you do not believe it’s your fault. You may feel inclined to save fees on legal services if it appears that the fault is clear, but not hiring a lawyer can pose a significant risk to your case. For example, a client alone may not be able to properly negotiate with an insurance company to obtain as much money as an attorney would be able to secure.
Q: How Much Can Someone Sue for a Car Accident in Montebello, California?
A: There is no cap on possible economic damages that an individual can try to obtain in a car accident case. The total amount will rely on the extent of the damages that are calculated and proven with evidence. Sources of this calculation will include medical expenses, lost wages, and any quantifiable damage to the vehicle. In most cases, the more extreme these physical and financial damages, the more possibility a plaintiff has to increase their award.
Q: How Long Do I Have to File a Car Accident Lawsuit in California?
A: Californians have two years from the date of an accident to file a claim and seek compensation for their personal injuries. An extra year is added to this statute for seeking reimbursement for property damage. Anyone who fails to miss this deadline is no longer eligible to pursue the case. If the claim involves a minor or is against a government entity, there could be some exceptions.
Contact Heimanson & Wolf, LLP, Today
If you have suffered damages from a car accident and are searching for compensation, connect with our injury attorneys today at Heimanson & Wolf, LLP. Many victims become overwhelmed by the prospect of calculating damages and negotiating with insurance companies while they are attempting to recover from their injuries. We happily take on this burden for our clients.
We have been serving our community for many years with trusted car accident legal services and would be honored to extend the same quality of care to you and your case. Call a member of our team to see why others in your situation have already trusted us to maximize their settlements.